“In silence we learn what can’t be taught.”
Tips for supporting a meditation practice:
Begin with a few deep breaths and consciously relax your body on the exhalation.
- Find a comfortable sitting position, with your spine as straight as possible.
- Meditate regularly preferably twice a day, with a goal of 20 minutes. Remember consistency is more important than the length of each meditation.
Check out different techniques, choose one and stick with it.
Decide in advance how long you plan to meditate and stick to it no matter how restless or bored you become.
Know that your mind will generate thoughts; that is it’s job. The practice is to find a way to come back to your focus with kindness and patience.
Begin each meditation by setting an intention, such as “loving kindness.”
- Drop any expectations about what is supposed to happen with meditation and accept whatever you experience.
- Remember any mediation is a successful mediation because you took the time to do it.
Benefits of a regular meditation practice:
- Reduce stress, anxiety and tension
- Improved function of the immune system
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Stronger focus and concentration
- Deeper meaning and purpose in life
- More love, joy and spontaneity
- Clearer thinking and less emotional turmoil as we become more able to observe, rather than react to our thoughts.
- Connection to a spiritual dimension of being.
“Meditation for Dummies” by Stephan Bodian
youtube.com (search meditation)